Photo of person removing a book from a book shelve

Customer Services

The focus of Customer Services is to help individuals navigate the Mental Health/Substance Use Disorder system, improve customer satisfaction, and provide compassionate support. We are available to assist with:

  • Questions about eligibility and financial issues
  • Complaints or concerns and help you find resolutions
  • Filing a grievance, appeal, recipient rights complaint, or state fair hearing
  • Answer your questions about CMH/PIHP programs and processes or refer you to the appropriate staff.
  • Language and accessibility issues
  • Materials requests
  • Community Resources

For assistance please call 1-800-897-3301 (TTY-711)

You can contact Customer Services between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, M-F

Customer Services Documents

​​​​​You will be given notice (adverse benefit determination) when a decision is made that denies your request for services or reduces, suspends or terminates the services you already receive. You have the right to file an “appeal” when you do not agree with such a decision. There are two ways you can appeal these decisions. There are also time limits on when you can file an appeal once you receive a decision about your services. You may ask for an appeal by contacting LRE customer services or your local customer service office.

​​​​Your appeal will be completed quickly, and you will have the chance to provide information or have someone speak for you regarding the appeal. You may ask for assistance from Customer Service to file an appeal. A provider or advocate may also ask for an appeal for you.

You have 60 calendar days to file an appeal once you have received the notice that your services were denied, suspended, terminated, or reduced. If you want to continue to receive your same level of services while your local appeal is pending, you have 10 days to include the request with your appeal.

If you file an appeal, you will receive an acknowledgment letter. You will also receive a disposition (decision) letter in no more than 30 calendar days for standard appeal and 72 hours for an expedited (quick) appeal.

Download Form

A grievance is an expression of dissatisfaction about any matter other than an adverse benefit determination. Grievances may include, but are not limited to, the quality of care or services provided, aspects of interpersonal relationships such as rudeness of a provider or employee, or failure to respect a person’s rights regardless of whether corrective action is requested. Grievance also includes a person’s right to dispute an extension of time proposed by the PIHP to make an authorization decision.

If you are unhappy with your services or supports or the staff who provide them, you can file a grievance any time by calling, visiting, or writing to LRE customer services or your local provider. Assistance is available in completing and filing a grievance by contacting the customer service office.

There is no time limit on when you can file a grievance.

A provider may file a grievance on your behalf (with consent by you/ your legal representative).

If you file a grievance, you will receive an acknowledgment letter. You will also receive a disposition (decision) letter in no more than 90 calendar days from the date you file.

Download Form

Your Rights

People who receive behavioral health services in Michigan have specific rights that are protected by various laws, statutes, and rules. The process of filing a rights complaint is different depending on the services you are receiving:

Mental Health Services
If you are receiving mental health services, some of your rights protected by the Michigan Mental Health Code include:

  • The right to be free from abuse or neglect
  • The right to appropriate treatment suited to your condition
  • The right to a person-centered planning process
  • The right to be treated with dignity and respect
  • The right to confidentiality

More information about the rights of people receiving mental health services is contained in the Your Rights booklet located below. You will be given the booklet when you first start services, and then once again every year. You may ask us for a copy at any time or download the booklet from this website.

If you believe your mental health treatment rights have been violated, you may contact your local CMH Office of Recipient Rights at the numbers below:

Network 180
(616) 336-3765

West Michigan CMH
(231) 845-6294

You can also contact Customer Services at LRE for help with making a complaint. You can make a rights complaint any time either orally or in writing.

Substance Use Disorder Services

If you are receiving substance abuse services, you also have rights that are protected by the Public Health Code. Your rights will be explained to you when you first start services, and then once again every year. You can find more information about your rights while getting substance abuse services in the “Know Your Rights” pamphlet located below.

If you believe your rights have been violated, please contact the Program Rights Advisor at the location where you receive your substance use services. You can also contact Customer Services at LRE for help with making a complaint. You can make a rights complaint any time either orally or in writing.

Note: You are free to exercise your right and use the rights protection system at any time without fear of retaliation, harassment, or discrimination. Your services will NOT be affected because you file a complaint.

Community Advisory Panel

The Community Advisory Panel (CAP) is a group of people who receive services, their representatives, and advocates that meet with members of the LRE quarterly to share information and ideas related to Medicaid services across the LRE region, creating transparency and opening lines of communication. CAP members provide valuable feedback and information that is used to improve services across the region.

To qualify for participation, the individual must be receiving services or represent a person currently receiving services through LRE’s community mental health services programs (CMHSP) and/or substance use disorder services programs (SUD). Members will be selected to represent one (or more) groups: adult with mental illness, an adult with developmental challenges, an adult with a substance use disorder, a parent/guardian of a child/children with mental illness, and/or a parent/guardian of a child/children/adult with developmental challenges.

If you are interested in participating on the Community Advisory Panel, please complete the application below and submit to

Please contact the LRE Customer Service Specialist at 800.897.3301 with any questions.

Consumer Resources

The following are state and national websites that are known to be reputable and to have good up-to-date information. Many of these sites have mental health and substance use disorder related fact sheets that may be downloaded free of charge.